Mugaritz press dossier
Mugaritz restaurant (Errenteria) opened its doors to the public in March 1998 under the direction of Andoni Luis Aduriz. Since 2006 it is considered one of the best restaurants in the world according to Restaurant Magazine.
Known by the press as "the most important gastronomic phenomenon in the world in recent years", it occupies the pages of media such as Omnivore, Le Figaro in France, Brutus, Cuisine, Kingdom in Japan, El Comercio and La República in Latin America and US Time and The Observer magazines among others.
In 2005 the Michelin Guide awarded Mugaritz its second star (the first was awarded in the year 2000).
In 2006 it went straight into tenth position on the list of "The world's 50 best restaurants". Likewise, the Repsol Guide awarded Mugaritz with maximum ratings of Three Suns.
That same year Danny Lee, a journalist from The New York Times stated in an article on San Sebastian and its surroundings that "if gastronomy is like an adventure, Mugaritz offers an exciting ride".
In 2007, Californian scientist and writer Harold McGee presented his latest book La cocina y los alimentos (On Food and Cooking) in Mugaritz, prefaced by Andoni and considered the bible of gastronomy.
In February 2009 the Carnet de Route Omnivore 2009 awarded the title of "Creation of the year 2009" for the dish "Flowers, flowers, flowers" by Mugaritz.
In the early morning of February 15, 2010 a short circuit caused a serious fire to break out in the kitchen at Mugaritz, resulting in the restaurant being closed for four months. Following the fire, a multitude of expressions of solidarity from around the world poured in for the team, which is what gave them the strength to continue on with the project.
In April 2012 the British publisher Phaidon Press published Mugaritz - A Natural Science of Cooking, the first monographic book in English on Mugaritz. The Mugartiz universe from its very core, a profound analysis of the methodology used together with a compendium of its latest recipes. This book was published in Spanish and Dutch that same year.
For the second consecutive year, Mugaritz remains in third place on the renowned list by S. Pellegrino in Restaurant Magazine and Andoni Luis Aduriz has received the Chef's Choice Award awarded by his own colleagues who complete the list of the best restaurants in the world. That same year he was awarded the prestigious Eckart Witzigmann prize that recognises his contribution of ideas and reflections to the world of cuisine and food, thus joining a list of famous award winners such as Ferrán Adrià or Günter Grass.
In October of this year, for the first time in their history, Mugaritz will take the reins as gastronomic directors of a restaurant other than their own. The restaurant with which they are joining forces is Abadía Retuerta Le Domaine , located in a unique setting in the stunning Castilian Plateau among vineyards and sheltered by a Romanesque abbey.
Mugaritz stands out for its innovative and creative activity in collaboration with firms and institutions which, in principle, have nothing to do with gastronomy, participating in cultural and publishing projects and product research and development.
Mugaritz has been working with AZTI Tecnalia since 2005, with achievements that include publishing the first scientific journal on gastronomy (International Journal of Gastronomy & Food Science ), developing with Guzmán Gastronomía and Sole Graells the Mugaritz Experiences product brand, working and collaborating with other companies on research projects under national programmes (CENIT, ...)
Some of the interests and projects have been included in different formats; Mugaritz develops an intense publishing activity and is author and co-author of the following books:
- La joven cocina vasca (1996). Hiria liburuak.
- El mercado en el plato (1998). Editorial Lur.
- Tabula Huevo (2000). Colección Tabula - Ixo editorial.
- Foie Gras (2002). Colección cuadernos mugaritz de gastronomía - Ixo editorial.
- Tabula Bacalao (2003). Montagud editores.
- Clorofilia (2004). Colección cuadernos mugaritz de gastronomía - Ixo editorial.
- Txikichef (2006). Hariadna editorial.
- Bestiarium Gastronomicae (2006). Colección cuadernos mugaritz de gastronomía - Ixo editorial.
- Tabula 35 mm (2007). Colección Tabula - Ixo editorial.
- Diccionario Botánico para Cocineros (2007). Ixo editorial.
- La botánica del deseo (2008). Prologue to the Spanish edition of Michael Pollan's book. Ixo publishers.
- Las primeras palabras de la cocina (2009). Colección cuadernos mugaritz de gastronomía - Ixo editorial.
- Los Bajos de la Alta Cocina (2009). Ixo editorial.
- El Dilema del Omnívoro (2011). Prólogo de la edición en castellano del libro de Michael Pollan. Ixo editorial.
- El Gourmet Extraterrestre (2011). Editorial Planeta.
- Larousse Gastronomique (2011). Edition revised and prefaced by A. Luis Aduriz. Larousse Publishers.
- Innovación abierta y alta cocina (2011). Ediciones Pirámide
- Mugaritz - A Natural Science of Cooking (2012). Editorial Phaidon Press / RBA / Kosmos
- Cocinar, comer, convivir (2012). Ediciones Destino.